Friday, April 29, 2016

Shirleen's Spiritual Goal Is Fulfilled

     It did not take long for me to see that Dale's goals were the same as mine.
Dale
We didn't have to talk about them, I could feel them. We never discussed temple marriage but I could see and feel that he planned to marry no other way. Before we arrived at a solid understanding though I had to learn to trust once again. 
The picture at the end of Dale's coming home chapter taken on our first date speaks volumes. It shows I was cautious and I'm sure he was. I wasn't ready to leap into another snake pit. It had felt good to be free. I continued to date DeLyle, and I was looking forward to a date with a new acquaintance, Court Anderson. In my mind I had no idea if I was headed for another let down or disappointment and I believed I had begun to wonder if my heart was telling me the truth. Did I doubt the promise that had been apparent for more than five years? Was my faith wavering? Dale didn't give up on me though, until... 
     He had told me after a date that he'd call me and we'd do something the following weekend. The week past and I didn't receive a phone call from him. The weekend past and he still hadn't called. I was disappointed. As I lay in bed one morning early the following week, I pondered my feelings, I came to realize I liked him more than I had thought. I missed him a lot! I decided to go to Standard Station to find out why he hadn't called. I was nervous fearing that rejection might be the answer. He told me that he had made a rule with himself that if a girl made three mistakes (in other words, stepped out on him) that he was through. He informed me I'd had more than three black marks! He was straight to the point! I could sense his truthfulness. His eyes were focused on a goal (the knoll in my dream indicated that). He said he'd look at his work schedule and call me. I didn't dare tell him I had a date, and this one I had been encouraging. I went straight home and called Court. I told him I'd made the decision to go steady with Dale Van Leuven. Court was really nice! He asked for a rain check if things didn't work out with Dale. I told him if they didn't I'd let him know. I told Jeanne (my sister) to tell Johnnie J. to let DeLyle know. I felt he had earned getting it second hand. The dating battlefield lay strewn with soldiers. There is a nice quote by an unknown author, "When God's warriors go down on their knees, the battle is NOT over. It has just begun." It was a task, I believe, for God to get ME temple ready! Mother told me once, "Shirleen, a lot of suicides and murders are committed by people with broken hearts." I told her I was not trying to break anyone's heart. My own heart had its share of battle scars. I was just trying to find the right one that would marry me in the temple, honor his priesthood, be a good husband and father. Isn't that what the gospel teaches us? Isn't it what my parents taught? Isn't that what went deep into my soul when I listened to Sister Bryson's advise in her talk? I knew without a doubt that what I experienced was from above. I could not deny what I had experienced.
     The Holy Ghost, angels, loved ones on the other side, the Savior, God or whom ever watches over us knew in advance and had revealed it to me before it all came about. Why? Because even though at times it seemed fruitless I continued to pray.

     I marvel yet. I feel the tears build as I ponder it even this day. How can anyone deny there is not a Savior that answers our troubled hearts. I love Him! I love the one He led me too! I've always been so happy that I didn't give up. Dale's eyes are still focused on the knoll ahead. For that, I am grateful!

by Simon  Dewey
Lead, Kindly Light
See John 8:12

     

      I love this picture of our Savior, because His light can seem very dim, yet we can find his light in the dark. We just need to believe that he will do what He has promised if we put our trust in Him. He will lead the way in our darkest of times. He LIVES! I pray that my loved ones will come to realize and feel the great love He has for us all. 
     Life was not over, the seas did not calm. We were not perfect. We had just begun. We had a lifetime of adjustments, trials, and blind turns ahead. I had unanswered questions and I would put them aside for many years. It appeared my desire had come true, so my need was not the same but unaware the Savior was not finished, with me. He is not finished, with any of us. It is His calling, purpose, and desire that we follow Him and become perfected, purified, and sanctified. I had a lot to learn and still do. Dale and I are not finished we are still on our earthly journey this day the 29th of April, 2016. 
    Today we live in a world of sloppy people (excuse the expression) but lady teachers were expected to dress like women and men teachers were expected to wear dress pants and shirts to work. I had been asked (a long with a few other girls) by Marella's Dress Shop in Vernal to model some of their dresses for the Lady Elks at the Vernal Golf Club. I enjoyed the fashion world so I enjoyed doing it. For my birthday in August Dale purchased the dresses that I'd modeled. 
   I was expecting an engagement ring for Christmas and was surprised I didn't find it hidden in the two large packages he gave me, instead tucked inside one of the gifts was a beautiful Bulova watch. In one large gift was a electric blanket and the other a beautiful gold dress with a dinner coat that matched. When I opened the gift with the gold dress, I was taken back to the dream that Homer had. "Homer had promised it and Dale bought it", I thought to myself. Did the dress have a special meaning?
. Here a little and there a little," the gold dress did have great meaning for me. I've kept it all these years because of its special significance to me. It is not only a tangible gift from Dale, but of my walk with Jesus Christ through the power of the Holy Ghost during a difficult time for me. It was another lesson the Holy Ghost wanted me to learn. Often He uses others to carry the information to us, when they are not aware they are doing so. Indeed it has taken a lifetime for me to understand a portion of its meaning and have more to learn. Christmas morning in 1963, when I opened the gift and saw it was a gold dress, I felt another soft spiritual awakening. In order to communicate with our Heavenly Father, our eyes, ears, heart, soul must be open to spiritual things, so we might receive Him and His word. What a beautiful Plan of Salvation. The Atonement is a special gift. The gold dress was a mortal (physical) gift that I was pledging to love and obey my future companion and marry him in the temple. We all must strive daily to earn the SPIRITUAL golden attire by seeking Jesus Christ and His word, being obedient and following His example. So that we can return back to Him golden. Gold is tempered at a high temperature. "When He hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold"
Job 23:10. Life was not meant to be easy! The process of chastening, refining and sanctification can be found in D&C 101, D&C 122:7-9. Elder Dallin H. Oaks has said, "Our Savior is able to comfort, heal, and strengthen all men and women everywhere, but I believe He does so only for those who seek Him and ask for His help." President Thomas S. Monson teaches, "God our Father has ears with which to hear our prayers. He has eyes with which to see our actions. He has a mouth with which to speak to us. He has a heart with which to feel compassion and love. He is real. He is living. We are his children made in his image. We look like him and he looks like us." 
     Amulek testified, "This life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men (women) to perform their labors." He added: "Do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness where there can be no labor performed." See Alma 34: 32-34.



No comments:

Post a Comment